Thursday, July 16, 2015

Review of The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George

           
               I was initially attracted to this book because of the main character's, Jean Perdu, love of books. Perdu is a literary apothecary prescribing books to people with many different issues. "I wanted to treat feelings that are not recognized as afflictions and are never diagnosed by doctors. All those little feelings and emotions no therapist is interested in, because they are apparently too minor and intangible. The feeling that washes over you when another summer nears its end Or when you recognize that you haven't got your whole life left to find out where you belong. Or the slight sense of grief when a friendship doesn't develop as you thought, and you have to continue your search for a lifelong companion. Or those birthday morning blues. Nostalgia for the air of your childhood. Things like that."  This passage is a perfect example of why I enjoyed the book so much the wording is so elegant and there is always a lot of imagery in the novel. The reader feels as if they are traveling with Perdu on a book barge. 
            I did have some issues with the book though. In my personal opinion I did not enjoy the fact that Perdu's lover, Manon was married to another man. There was also a lot of grief in the novel which made it drag for me making it difficult for me to finish the novel. However, by the end of the novel I grew an appreciation for the novel and understood that the grief had to be a major part of the novel. Only because of the times of grieving then did the enjoyable parts seem all the more better. 
                 This was a wonderful summer read. I would recommend it to anyone who likes romance novels in college or older. As Perdu prescribes to his readers, I would recommend reading it a little at a time so you fully digest the novel and everything that is in it. It is a beautifully written piece of work and I highly approve of Nina George's work on this novel. By the end of the novel it is easy to see why it is ranked on Germany's best seller list. 

More Info     Author Bio


       I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment